Best Overall for Autoimmune Disease: The Honest Kitchen Dry Dog Food
“This dog food contains extremely healthy, wholesome food ingredients packed with nutrients to support your dog’s immune system while offering a wide variety of flavors.”
Best Raw Food Topper: Instinct Raw Boost Dog Food Topper
“Get your pooch a nutritionally sufficient meal made from premium quality ingredients with the Instinct Freeze Dried Dog Food. It is formulated to address immune and digestive system issues, making this an ideal recipe for every ailment.”
Best Value For Money: Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food
“Treating autoimmune condition doesn’t always have to be pricey and this dog food packed with superfoods proves it. Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food is an extremely affordable option that avoids problem ingredients while nourishing your dog properly.”
As a dog parent, one of the things you dread and want to avoid as much as possible is your dogs getting sick. One health risk that dogs are susceptible to is autoimmune disease wherein their own immune system goes rogue and starts fighting healthy cells and tissue.
Although not common, autoimmune disease is a potentially life-threatening condition especially when not treated right away.
Treatment can be complicated as there are different types of autoimmune disease that require a unique approach. But you won’t have to reach that point if your dogs are properly nourished and protected from the get go.
Table of Contents
- The Rundown
- Best Dog Food for Autoimmune Disease
- 1. The Honest Kitchen Dry Dog Food
- 2. Instinct Raw Boost Dog Food Toppers
- 3. Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food
- 4. Diamond Naturals Senior Dry Dog Food
- 5. ACANA Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- 6. CANIDAE PURE Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- 7. American Journey Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- 8. NUTRISCA Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food
- 9. Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Toppers
- 10. Zignature Dry Dog Food
- Different Signs of Autoimmune Disease in Dogs
- 1. The Honest Kitchen Dry Dog Food
- Questions & Answers
Best Dog Food for Autoimmune Disease
Here are our top picks for the best dog food for Autoimmune Disease in Dogs:
- Best Overall for Autoimmune Disease: The Honest Kitchen Dry Dog Food
- Best Raw Food Topper: Instinct Raw Boost Dog Food Toppers
- Best Value for Money: Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food
- Best for Seniors: Diamond Naturals Senior Dry Dog Food
- Best for Puppies: ACANA Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Best Limited Ingredient: CANIDAE PURE Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- Best for All Life Stages: American Journey Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Best Flavor Range: NUTRISCA Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food
- Best Raw Food Option: Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Toppers
- Best for Sensitive Stomach: Zignature Dry Dog Food
1. The Honest Kitchen Dry Dog Food
Best Overall for Autoimmune Disease
- Human-grade, so you can be sure it’s extremely healthy
- 10-pound bag makes 40 pounds of food
- Available in different recipes, with different nutrient counts
- Adds a bit more moisture to your dog’s daily intake
- Not all dogs will fill up on this food
The Honest Kitchen Dry Dog Food is certified human-grade by the FDA. There are five different flavors so there’s quite a few options to choose from, which is great especially if your dog is a fussy eater. The protein and fat levels vary slightly by flavor but you can be confident that it’s still within the optimum range for most dog breeds. It has a good amount of DHA and EPA which are essential nutrients to keep brain and eye function at its best.
This human grade dog food is formulated using premium ingredients which are not only packed with nutrients but are absolutely safe even for human consumption. You can guarantee it is rich in nutrients that will protect your dog from common diseases, especially AI related ones. It’s very easy to prepare and it comes in tasty flavors your dog will surely enjoy.
2. Instinct Raw Boost Dog Food Toppers
Best Supplemental Kibble Topper
- A recipe for every ailment
- Raw and minimally processed
- Fairly low in calories
- Adds extra texture to a dog’s meals
- All contain chicken, so may not be suitable for all dogs
The Instinct Raw Boost Dry Dog Food comes in a variety of recipes, each designed to assist with a specific health issue that could be a symptom of AI disease.
They’re meant to be added on top of your pup’s kibble to add some extra texture and flavor (great for picky eaters). But these do much more than just get your dog excited about eating, they also provide extra supplements in every bite. Each recipe has a special formulation which addresses your dog’s specific needs:
- The Immune Health formula had added vitamins and minerals.
- The Gut Health option has specially added probiotics.
- Skin and Coat Health is extremely high in Omegas.
- Mobility Support contains joint fortifying glucosamine and chondroitin.
3. Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food
Best Value For Money
- Extremely affordable option
- Specially added probiotics
- Contains antioxidant-filled superfoods
- Impressive Omegas plus DHA
- No joint supplements
- Contains potatoes, which some dogs may be allergic too
Treating a pup with an AI disease can be pricey, but their dog food doesn’t have to be. The Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food has a superb ingredient list for such a well-priced dog food. It makes use of salmon and fish meal as its main protein sources, avoiding protein allergens entirely. The fruits and veggies are high in antioxidants which is great for additional immune system boost.
With a protein count of 25% and a fat count of 14%, it is a nutritionally sufficient meal for most dogs. It also contains DHA and a good amount of Omega fatty acids which round this food up completely. Plus, the added K9 Strain probiotics aids in proper digestion.
4. Diamond Naturals Senior Dry Dog Food
Best For Seniors With Autoimmune Disease
- Joint support supplements included
- Contain L-carnitine
- Superfood fruits and veggies
- Added probiotics
- If your senior is sensitive to chicken, you’d need to choose something else
The Diamond Naturals Senior Dry Dog Food is a fantastic choice for older dogs who happen to be struggling with an AI condition. It comes with a nearly full range of supplements. It uses premium quality animal protein as its main ingredient with added high-quality carbohydrates. There are healthy grains in this dog food. Rice and oatmeal help stimulate your senior’s digestive system while superfoods like kale, chia seeds, blueberries, and kelp bring a full spectrum of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. You’ll also find L-carnitine, which is great for seniors to regulate their energy expenditure.
Great Omegas and the addition of joint supplements round this dog food up really well. No matter how your senior’s AI disease manifests, this dog food should help ease the symptoms.
5. ACANA Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Best For Puppies With Autoimmune Disease
- Contains full range of puppy supplements for growth and development
- Multi-protein recipe for varied taste profile
- Contains botanical inclusions
- Probiotics-rich for easy digestion
- Not a cheap option
AI disease can show up at any age, and ACANA Grain Free Dry Dog Food is a great choice for boosting your pup’s immune system. It is a biologically appropriate nourishment that provides your little one with everything their body needs to keep it strong and protected.
For active, developing puppies, the 31% protein and 19% fat counts are well within the recommended range for proper muscle development and sufficient energy source. The carbohydrates sources are wholesome foods, consisting mainly of lentils and beans. DHA and EPA are present in significant amounts which is excellent for proper brain and eye development.
There are added probiotics and botanical inclusions in this grain free dry dog food for extra digestive support.
6. CANIDAE PURE Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Best Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Nutrients vary, so you can choose what’s appropriate for your dog’s needs
- Contain joint supplements
- Highly digestible, antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruit
- A pricey choice
If you feel your dog would benefit from a limited ingredient diet, or they’ve been recommended one by a vet, CANIDAE PURE Grain Free Dry Dog Food comes highly recommended. There are 7 tasty recipes, each flavor is high in protein and fat, packed with Omegas, antioxidants, vitamins & minerals, and glucosamine. Each recipe contains a different mix of proteins and vegetables formulated specifically for puppies, seniors, small breeds, and one for dogs with weight management issues.
It’s an extremely healthy and versatile food that’s ideal for dogs like Maltese, pugs, chihuahuas, and cocker spaniels who are generally sensitive and would benefit more from a limited ingredient diet.
7. American Journey Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Best for All Life Stages
- Superb for dogs suffering from hypothyroidism
- Suitable for all life stages
- High in quality animal protein
- Contains phytonutrients
- Although it’s not a chicken flavor, it contains chicken meal
Two of the most common ways AI disease shows up is food allergies and hypothyroidism, and this dog food recipe is amazing for both. It’s highly recommended for dogs who arre prone to AI disease because of its incredible natural ingredient list and useful added supplements.
The nutrient counts are near perfect for all dogs, at 32% protein and 14% fat. The added supplements give it specific properties that work specifically for puppies, adults, and seniors. Glucosamine and chondroitin provide your dog’s joints the support they need. High levels of Omegas keep skin and fur soft and moisturized. DHA keeps eyes and brains strong and functioning.
8. NUTRISCA Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food
Best Flavor Range
- Available in various tasty flavors
- Contains DHA for brain boost
- Grain and potato-free formula for sensitive dogs
- High in antioxidants for immune system support
- Slightly expensive option
- No joint support included
This dog food from NUTRISCA is available in various flavors so pups with allergies can have a variety of options while having a great meal packed with natural ingredients and vitamins and minerals.
Chicken, lamb and salmon are considered high-quality animal proteins which are the main ingredients in this dog food. You’ll also find peas, chickpeas, and a variety of other dried vegetables that are extremely nutritious, hardly processed, and packed full of DHA.
9. Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Toppers
Best Raw Food Option
- A variety of recipes, each for a specific ailment
- Very high in animal protein
- Raw nutrition, minimally processed
- Grain free, potato-free, and legume-free
- Don’t contain many antioxidants or probiotics
- Can be pricey
If you’re looking for a raw dog food to supercharge your pup’s immune system and alleviate symptoms associated with immune disease, this freeze dried dog food topper is a superb option.
They’re minimally processed and have no artificial ingredients or added hormones which means your dog will just be getting pure protein, high levels of fat, and excellent supplementary ingredients.
You can choose from a variety of recipes here, depending on what your dog needs. Each one also has a different protein, so it’s easy to avoid problem ingredients and give your dog a little supplemental dose of what they need.
- Immune System Boost (lamb) contains high Omegas, added vitamins, beta carotene, and bromelain.
- Skin & Coat Boost (lamb & salmon) has increased Omegas and vitamins.
- Hip & Joint Boost (chicken) will give your pup a dash of DHA, EPA, glucosamine, and L-carnitine.
- Healthy Heart Support (chicken) features DHA, EPA, taurine, and L-carnitine.
- Digestive Boost (beef) has added soluble and insoluble fiber.
10. Zignature Dry Dog Food
Best For Sensitive Stomach
- Super for allergies, avoids problem ingredients
- Added vitamins and minerals
- Contains L-carnitine and antioxidant-rich vegetables for added immune system boost
- No joint supplements
Zignature Dry Dog Food is pricey but its ingredient quality is fantastic for pups who really struggle with allergies and sensitivities. No chicken, beef, lamb, or potatoes, and it makes use of fish protein sources for extra Omegas to give the skin and coat extra support.
The ingredients are easy to digest and great for sensitive stomachs. The absence of common allergens makes it a safe option for dogs who can be a little sensitive.
Different Signs of Autoimmune Disease in Dogs
Autoimmune disease in dogs can manifest in several ways and may considerably affect multiple organs in their body. If your pooch is suffering from the following, be sure to take him to his vet immediately to have him checked before his condition gets worse:
- Muscle and joint pain
- High Fever
- Frequent drinking and urination
- Unusual shedding
- Malpigmentation of skin and nose
- Trainers and face ulcers
- Thyroid Issues
Questions & Answers
How is autoimmune disease treated?
The accepted way of treating autoimmune disease is by something called immunosuppression. In a nutshell, this means that the immune system is muted, so it doesn’t respond as harshly to its own cells. Often, steroids are prescribed to keep the immune system’s response to a minimum.
The bad thing about this kind of treatment is that it also doesn’t respond to real, actual germ cells. That’s why choosing the best dog food for autoimmune disease is so important. It can be the difference between your dog staying fairly healthy or being riddled with health problems.
What should I look for in the best dog food for autoimmune disease?
An autoimmune diet can help keep symptoms at bay, although it is not a cure. The best dog food for autoimmune disease should, first and foremost, contain only wholesome, natural ingredients. Minimal processing is essential, and something containing natural preservatives is also a good idea.
It should also be free from artificial colors and flavors. Avoid glutinous grains like corn, wheat, and soy.
What you do want to see is a high-quality animal protein as the first ingredient. Your carb ingredients should consist of easy-to-digest vegetables. The addition of herbs of any kind is a bonus, as they’re often used in supplementary treatments of AI diseases.
Omega fatty acids, other useful supplements (glucosamine, DHA, L-carnitine), antioxidants, and probiotics and prebiotics are all wonderful things to see on an ingredient list.
Is there anything else I can do to help my dog with AI disease?
Apart from a dog food for autoimmune disease, there are a variety of therapies that could bring some relief to your pup, depending on how exactly your dog’s condition shows up.
Hydrotherapy is exceptionally useful for pups who suffer from immune system disease that causes arthritis. Acupressure and acupuncture are also good options, but it’s definitely something you need a trained professional to do. Don’t try it at home, for your dog’s sake!
Supplementing with natural herbal supplements could help too. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, while cinnamon has pain-relief properties. Do a bit of research on how to incorporate these in the right amounts, though, because too much can be detrimental to your pup’s health.